Stoughton Opera House

Southern Wisconsin's Most Charming Theatre

The historic Stoughton Opera House is located in Stoughton, WI just a few minutes south-east of Madison. The theater plays host to a wide variety of musical and theatrical performances throughout the season - rock, folk, classical, oddities, comedy...you name it. Known for sublime acoustics and an early 20th century aesthetic, don't pass on a chance to see a show or just pay a visit to the Stoughton Opera House.

 

Understanding Opera House Ticketing Fees

fees graphic.jpg

There are various fees and taxes that are applied to ticket purchases above and beyond the base cost of the ticket. The revenue collected makes it possible to present our many shows. Here is a guide to understanding how each fee is used.

Convenience Fees

We charge a convenience fee on each ticket sold:

  • No fee for tickets purchased over the phone, in the box office, or by mail.

  • $3 per ticket when purchased online. All the revenues from this fee go to cover the costs associated with offering tickets for sale online.

Credit/Debit Card Processing Fees

We charge a fee that covers our costs for credit and debit card use.

  • No fee when using cash or check.

  • 5% of ticket face value when using a credit or debit card.For example, the processing fee for a $20 ticket is $1, while the processing fee for a $50 ticket is $2.50. This fee is in addition to the face value of the ticket.

Delivery Fees

  • No fee for print at home tickets or will-call tickets.

  • $1 fee per order when we mail you your tickets.

Sales Tax

Per State of Wisconsin regulations we collect 5.5% sales tax on all transactions. Revenue collected from sales tax is remitted to the State of Wisconsin

Fees FAQ

Why fees? Why don’t you just raise ticket prices instead?

The revenue gathered from the base ticket revenue covers the cost of producing each individual show with the majority of that revenue, typically 75-90%, going directly to artist-related expenses including the artist fee. We are in favor of this structure because we think it is essential to support artists. The performing arts are expensive for all parties involved and the margins are low.

I am already a donor. Why do you need even more money from me?

Donations and contributed income cover about 25% of our overall revenue but the remaining 75% of our revenue comes from ticket sales and fees. Beyond the costs of producing events and staffing, we also face considerable ongoing maintenance and capital costs to keep our historic venue in working order.

What is the cheapest way for me to get tickets?

Fees will always be the lowest if you stop by our Box Office in person and pay with cash or check. We do not hold blocks of tickets for Box Office buyers. Buying tickets online will always provide a greater chance of getting the seats you want to the shows you want.

What are my buying options?

  • Online via stoughtonoperahouse.com (our ticketing partner is TicketForce - all other sellers are third party and likely fraudulent!) Click here for more information: Avoid Third Party Ticket Scams!

  • Via Phone: 608-877-4400 (During high volume times - like the first day of sales - you will not be able to get through right away. You will need to leave a message)

  • In Person at the Box Office: 381 E. Main St. - Stoughton, WI

What if I have other questions/concerns that aren’t answered here?

Email boxoffice@stoughtonoperahouse.com and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

 

STOUGHTON OPERA HOUSE - 381 E. MAIN ST. - STOUGHTON, WI - 53589

BOX OFFICE: 608 877-4400